Top 10 Reasons for Penetration Testing
Top 10 Reasons for Penetration Testing
After joining the Connectis cyber security team, I’ve been asked several times about ”what is Penetration Testing and what are the Top 10 Reasons for Penetration Testing? I decided elaborate on why Penetration Testing is so important. Not only will I explain what pen testing is, but I’ll also address why this is important to add to your cyber defense framework.
Here’s a layman’s explanation for Penetration Testing (Pen Test for short). A Pen Test is a simulation of a possible cyber attack against your organization’s IT infrastructure – your computer system, network, facilities, and web application firewall. The test checks for a very wide variety of vulnerabilities, and is conducted by performed by an ethical professional with no malicious intent.
Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Perform Penetration Testing
- Proactively identify your security weaknesses – The main purpose of Pen Testing is to find exploitable vulnerabilities before a hacker does so that they can be patched and fixed immediately. During Pen Testing, we identify and evaluate key attack vectors an attacker could use to compromise your organization’s critical data and assets. And, at the conclusion of the test, the Connectis Cyber Security consultant delivers a comprehensive Summary of Findings report of verified exploitable vulnerabilities and other issues uncovered in your environment, providing the guidance you’ll need to prioritize and complete required remediation activities.
- Combine machine intelligence with human analysis: Benefit from Connectis Cyber Security custom tools and advanced manual testing techniques, which can help reduce false positives and uncover complex, emerging, or obscure vulnerabilities that automated scans alone often miss.
- Assess your defenses – Discover not only how an attacker might breach your existing defenses, but how deeply they can penetrate your environment while escaping detection. We evaluate how deeply an experienced, motivated attacker can penetrate your environment using security weaknesses that automated tools might miss, such as by exploiting a high-risk vulnerability created from a sequence of lower-risk vulnerabilities.
- Protect your brand – A cyber attack not only damages a company economically but the organization’s brand, reputation and intellectual property could be affected.
- Keep the business afloat and service unexpected whirlpools – Penetration testing helps stop breaches before they lead to a costly and traumatic security compromise. Pen testing should be in every organizations’ budget and part of regular IT expenses. Without proactive testing, it’s not a matter of if you’ll be hacked, but when. Once the organization has a data breach, if recovery is even possible, it can cost millions of dollars in IT remediation efforts, customer protection and retention issues and legalities. Many small-to-mid-size companies can be out of business within six months of a serious breach.
- Gain Visibility – Pen testing lets your IT professionals measure risk and evaluate the consequences of what an attack may have on resources and operations.
- Preserve corporate image – By keeping your network periodically checked, you are in turn keeping your clients, customers, employees, and company data, IP, and trade secrets confidential and and maintain favorable service ratings from regulatory examiners.
- Meet compliance – PCI penetration tests have specific goals set forth by the PCI Security Standards Council Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS). Pen Testing will help you to meet compliance and regulatory requirements for long-term success and ensure compliance with frequently changing PCI-DSS requirements.
- Third Party’s objective Point of View – Understand the full business impact of a real-world attack and gain a thorough, third-party understanding of your organization’s security posture. Besides, benefit from expert guidance on prioritization and remediation from Connectis Cyber Security consultants.
- Comprehensive Reports – Receive a comprehensive report of identified vulnerabilities, including assessments of potential impact, exploit likelihood, effort to remediate, and recommended remediation path. Utilize prioritization and remediation guidance from our experts to determine your highest priorities for remediation.
- Work with experts, who have ethical hackers on staff – When you engage Connectis cyber security for pen testing, you are in fact working with an expert, our consultants with years of penetration testing experience, has complete familiarity with how organizations run and how attackers operate.
- Keep executive management informed about your organization’s risk level – While it is obvious that executives won’t have the time to review a penetration test report in its entirety, the executive summary and / or findings overview will provide them with valuable insights about their organization’s security posture in easy-to-understand, non-technical terms and maintain favorable service ratings from regulatory examiners.
Lastly, penetration testing can provide evidence regarding the security controls that are in place and hence justifies continued or additional investment in security personnel and technology to executive management and investors.
Connectis has helped many organizations to solve the toughest challenges faced by them across an ever-evolving digital threat landscape. Our solutions enable clients to find, fix, stop, and ultimately solve Cyber Security problems across their entire enterprise and product portfolios. We test your internal and external networks with a combination of automated sweeps and detailed manual testing.